Our Church History
The following significant items of our Church's history are placed here for your enlightenment and reminiscence. We invite each and every one of you to please join with us and become part of history!
- The Albany Church was the 27th Seventh-day Adventist to be started in the Northwest. Of the original 27, only 12 are still active. Albany is the 6th-oldest in the Oregon Conference, voted into the North Pacific Union Conference in 1887.
- Membership at the Albany Church has varied from the 5 original members to a high of 338, with 255 at present (August, 2013).
- 30 pastors have served our church. (updated in August, 2013)
|1887||Albany Seventh-day Adventist Church was founded with 5 members.|
|1910||Re-organized. 8 members present.|
|1915||Church located on West 6th Avenue, close to Albany Hospital.|
|4/1918||Sold 6th Avenue property for $500.|
|5/1918||Purchased an existing church on 3rd and Montgomery.|
|8/1918||Church dedicated. N.C. Ernston, pastor.|
|2/1937||Sold church bell to raise funds. Bell weighed 413lbs., 94lbs of iron.|
|12/1949||Voted to build new church at 4th Avenue and Columbus.|
|4/1951||Sold 3rd Avenue church building.|
|1/1954||First service in new 4th Avenue property.|
|9/1956||School near Dunlap was sold for $18,000, due to right-of-way for Interstate 5|
|9/1957||Formed Union School with Corvallis SDA Church.|
|1964||Purchased property adjoining.|
|11/1974||Membership growth caused overcrowding; voted to remodel existing building.|
|1976||Due to city zoning and building restrictions it was voted to sell the 4th Avenue property. And "that at the end of the year, if it did not sell, another vote would be taken to determine wishes of the church body."|
|12/1977||Church in Business Session voted to sell and build a new church.|
|1/1978||Church Locating Committee formed to find a suitable church site.|
|10/1978||Voted to buy 2.4 acre parcel at 3085 Grand Prairie Road SE. Site contained a large house and was purchased for $38,000. Building Committee appointed.|
|5/1977||Salvation Army signed purchase agreement for property at 4th and Columbus; price $220,000.|
|8/17/1980||Ground-Breaking Ceremonies for new Church. Sidney Nelson, pastor. Present were Mae Yih, State Senator, as well as many Oregon Conference officials. A horse plow was used, with many members "drafted" to pull it!|
|10/1980||General Contractor, Merritt Crawford, was hired for the project.|
|4/24/1982||First service held in the new facility. Many dignitaries were present, including Senator Mae Yih, Albany City and Oregon Conference officials.|
|Church Dedicated. Pastor Fred Hardinge challenged the 250 members to consecrate themselves to the Lord Jesus Christ and the finishing of His Work in our hearts as well as in the town of Albany.|
|7/23/1995||Church in Business Session voted to purchase the adjoining 1.82 acre parcel, including a small house, for $90,000. With $30,000 cash in hand, $30,000 more pledged by members present, plus a $29,000 loan from a member, the deal was closed.|
|2/1999||Loan on adjacent property was paid off.|
Church Construction Trivia:
- One member, helping to roll tar paper for the roofing, literally backed-off the edge of the roof, but got up and walked away without any ill effects!
- Merritt Crawford's experience and expertise in construction and dealing with business people (as well as volunteers) saved much time and expense.
- Sanctuary light fixtures were constructed by two members from a pattern that Merritt Crawford saw in a restaurant in California. Cost was $750 instead of $7000.
- The brass railing around the organ and piano were salvaged from a remodeling job at Harrah's Club in Reno.
- Light fixtures in the Fellowship Hall came from Columbia Academy's girls' dormitory that was being demolished.
- Stained-glass windows were done by Merritt's wife and their daughter-in-law; cost was $1,500 instead of $7000.
- Brick cost $1000 less than original estimate, plus company transported it to Albany from Klamath Falls
List of Pastors that Served our Church
|1932-1938||Comer, Elder Dustin, Elder Dickinson|
|2007-2009||Interim Pastor Steve Behrmann|
*Individuals' names (other than those of public record) are not included here to protect privacy.